Oils are the OG in beauty, and they aren’t going anywhere. As we modify our beauty ritual for the cooler months ahead, beauty oils should play a starring role in our daily routine. From cleansing and treatment oils to hair and body elixirs, beauty oils deliver the extra nourishment we need to maintain healthy, dewy skin through winter.
So first, lets clear up any lingering doubts about the benefits of beauty oils, shall we?
Myth #1: Oil will make me break out.
Truth: Not only will natural face oils not make you break out, they will make skin healthier! Plant based oils have a similar composition to our skin’s natural lipid layer, and are often loaded with antioxidants, polyphenols and fatty acids that nourish the skin.
And remember, like dissolves like. If you have oily skin, an oil cleanser will dissolve the excess oil that builds up on skin.
Just be sure to always avoid mineral oil and petroleum products, which DO clog pores and lead to breakouts.
Myth #2: Oil sits on top of the skin, leaving skin looking greasy.
Truth: Many conventional moisturizers – made with waxes, water and oils – seal moisture into the skin with wax, often suffocating and dehydrating the skin in the long term.
Natural oils, on the other hand, mimic our skin’s own lipid layer. They are fat soluble, so they sink right into skin, leaving it feeling softer and looking dewier. And because they’re highly concentrated, the deliver more vitamins, minerals and antioxidants than traditional moisturizers.
Remember, just a few drops can go a long way! If you want an instant refresh, a few drops on the cheekbone will give a naturally luminous look in an instant.
Myth #3: Face oils are just a trend.
Truth: Using oils to cleanse, moisturize and treat is the original beauty ritual. It’s been around for millennia, and they are still en vogue. From Cleopatra to Sophia Loren to today’s most celebrated makeup artists, skin experts know that oil is the secret ingredient for youthful, radiant skin.
In our 30’s, wrinkles start to appear as our skin’s natural moisture barrier breaks down and skin starts to dry out. The longer the skin stays dry, the deeper the folds will be. Because oils are lipophilic – or fat loving – they are absorbed easier, plumping the skin from the inside out.
Also, face oils are better than moisturizers in the cold months to retain moisture and give skin extra nourishment.
Below is a list of my favorite beauty oils for fall.
- Cleansing oils are the foundation of skincare
- While many conventional cleansers strip our natural sebum layer with harsh detergents, drying the skin and leading to wrinkles, oil cleansers remove dirt and build up without stripping, and delivering nutrients
- Formulated with organic sunflower, avocado, castor seed and lavender
- When we strip our natural lipid barrier with harsh detergents, our skin is very vulnerable to bacterial infections, inflammation, sun damage and acne. Plant oils restore balance naturally.
- Specifically designed to treat deep, red and cystic acne
- Contains Tamanu Oil, the most powerful anti-inflammatory plant oil, and Black Cumin Seed Oil which has strong anti-bacterial benefits
- Blue Chamomile, Thyme, Helichrysum, and Lavender help prevent scarring
- Acts as a booster for moisturizers and treatment serums
- Increases penetration, strengthens skin cells and helps retain more moisture throughout the day
- Clean and pure with only 8 powerful ingredients
- The holy grail of decadent beauty elixirs for the hair and body
- Glides onto skin like a golden veil – enhancing all skin tones!
- Kakui, Macadamia, Avocado oils work moisturizing miracles – a true vacation for the skin
- Perfumes skin with subtle and soft floral notes
- Rooted in Ayurveda, this formula contains plants native to India, like Indian Gooseberry, known for enhanced elasticity and bounce
- Prevents frizz and adds shine
- Stimulates hair growth for stronger, fuller hair from root to end
Visit www.beauty-heroes.com or on the individual brand sites for more!